Exploring Snapchat as a Social Tool

As part of Lab 8 for RTV 3106, I used Snapchat to create a video to add to my Snapchat story. I chose to discuss my favorite tool for selecting colors for creating content, The Color Index 2. This is one of my favorite tools ever because it shows so many different colors and families and shows what looks good together. The book also provides both the CMYK and the RBG values for all colors shown throughout the book. My high school yearbook adviser showed this to me nearly seven years ago, and it continues to be helpful and relevant almost evert time I sit down to design.

Being that Snapchat only allows 10 seconds per story, I felt very limited in what I could say or do in the 10 seconds allotted. While it is totally possible to just post multiple videos, I feel like that makes a Snapchat post lose its zing. As a Snapchat user, I've always clicked through stories that are multiple videos of the person in the same spot, doing or saying the same thing.

While Instagram stories only allow 5 more seconds for video than Snapchat, it feels like its easier and more natural to fit a comfortable video into that time frame. This is why Snapchat is becoming more and more obsolete as Instagram stories continue to grow and develop with the app.


Comments