Vegan Biscuits and Gravy: the Search for the Perfect Savory Breakfast Dish

As a child I was never a fan of biscuits and gravy. The idea of sausage and white gravy soaked into a soggy biscuit sort of freaked me out. After going vegan, however, my entire outlook on biscuits and gravy changed. I tasted some of a friends once at a restaurant  I barely even remember and I became instantly hooked.

My absolute favorite place to get biscuits and gravy is Market on South in Orlando. They use maple syrup in their gravy and sausage chunks and small heirloom tomatoes. This dish is absolutely to die for. I love it so much I make it a point to make a stop there every time I'm even vaguely in the Orlando area.

Because I have turned into such a big fan of biscuits and gravy, I have convinced my boyfriend to look up recipes and make me some at home. He made me a version of a recipe from the blog Minimalist Baker that featured Field Roast brand breakfast link sausages all crumbled up. This meal went above and beyond satisfying my craving for the classic diner dish. The gravy was creamy and sweet and savory and took care of all of my biscuit and gravy needs.

While Market on South's version forever holds first place in my heart, the homemade version from Minimalist Baker definitely satisfies the craving with ingredients you're likely to have at home.

Recipe: Minimalist Baker Biscuits and Gravy


Photo: Market on South biscuits and gravy


Comments